View Single Post
spud912 02:41 PM 08-23-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I read about three at circle time because they ask fr mre, more, more. I also do lots of flannel board stories and/or prop stories, but not every day.

In my former life I was addicted to making fl. board stories and activities. They have been so well loved and used over the years. I have over 300. No lie! They are a combo of stories, math counting poems, and misc. activities.
Some are over 20 yrs old. Some are much newer! Literacy is my first love when working with kids.

I have never read a story at nap time...it's kinda weird I don't! I am too tired by that time and need a break! My group is young too. Don't feel guilty....you are doing a great jobs with story time. Most of us work alone and do it all. We only have so much time & energy!
I so wish I had some flannel board stories and/or prop stories. I have a couple of felt stories but I just don't know how to juggle it all . How do you hold up the book and then do the flannel story...or do you just do the flannel story and tell them all? I also don't get how people do puppets during story time. It's all so awkward to me and I feel like I need 3 more hands .

Ay, I should be better about reading more books . I guess another reason I don't read as much as I should is because I get frustrated while reading and it makes me unmotivated. This is how it goes:the 1 year olds and one of my 2 year olds don't pay attention and wander and take out every imaginable toy when I'm "distracted," my 4 yo dd tests me 99% of the time (she asks questions completely unrelated to the story, she "doesn't like that book," somebody is sitting too close to her), then one of the 1 year olds will literally stand 2 inches from the book and block everyone's view, then I have to redirect literally about 10 times during a short book....ahh...by the time I'm done I want to tear my hair out and hide out in a closet! A book that should take about 5 minutes to read always ends up taking 10-15 minutes because of the constant interruptions.

The amount of books available is not an issue.....I get books from the library weekly and they are related to the theme. We have a ton of books to read .