View Single Post
Cat Herder 08:45 AM 08-16-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My beloved adorable little 2 year old started impulsively bashing other kids. He was a good sharer and an only child who loved being with other kids but inexplicably started hitting for no apparent cause out of the blue.
I researched and found out about sensory overload. He went to see an occupational therapist who was an expert in sensory integration therapy with kids. After 2 weeks he stopped hitting and has never done it again he also learned a lot about regulating his energy by doing bouts of extreme exercise when he needs to. He still remained a very hyper little boy who was hard to handle but what I discovered was that with enough exercise at intervals during the day things improved. I put him in a pre-school with a full sized playground on a huge college campus where they went for walks every day and a huge gym for rainy days.
He is 16 now and knows how to regulate his own energy by vigorous workouts in his room when he feels tense, he is an A student in a challenging large public high school and plays in an orchestra and a chamber group and I NEVER used the drugs that lots of misguided school personal thought I should but I did put him in a Waldorf school from age 10-through 8th grade because they integrate being outdoors, the arts and academics in a way more humanely matched to his nervous system.Please don't judge a small child who is "wild". Read "The Out of Sync Child"
Most of us did not have access to this type of training or local CCR&R support systems back in 2011 (when this thread was posted), terming was our only option to keep from being liable for other childrens injuries.

So much has changed since then and this is something most of us have resources for now. That said, not all of us can accommodate a child with high needs in a small group setting with one provider. As long as parents are up front during enrollment, we are typically well prepared for what lies ahead and know if it is something we can or can't deal with, now (2017).