View Single Post
Cat Herder 09:08 AM 06-29-2011
Stop the sarcasm, just because I don't agree with your viewpoint.

It was not sarcasm..it was a valid question. Yes, I could have laid off with the question marks but your post was equally inflammatory.

"Wrong by the usual and customary industry standard" is a FALSE statement. I know of NO State that mandates a private child care provider to offer potty training as part of her service. It does NOT exist.

And yes, it's a viewpoint, not fact or even theory.

Much like yours.

The group that posts here isn't representative of all daycares throughout the country.

And neither are yours.

Have you talked with other providers outside of your state other than through this forum?

Of course. I have done childcare in three States, traveling with my husbands job. I have done the employee education and risk management for a huge national chain. I had 60 franchise owners to monitor in my region. This is a capitalist society where the owners decide what services they offer even if the franchise does not recommend some things.

Have you done any research on the internet of other home based and center based providers and their potty training programs?

Yes, and they all decide what works best for their program.

never heard of a provider not offering any potty training whatsoever and that a child needs to be 100% potty trained at home to even try it at daycare.

That is not what was stated. It was stated that the child should be familiar enough with the process and VERBAL enough to ask to go to the potty before beginning using the potty in group childcare. I don't think that is unreasonable in ANY way.

Kids still have accidents at age 5 - if they play too long and wait too long, it happens.

Absolutely, but that is NOT what we were talking about here.

I think it's pretty naive of you to think that customers wouldn't want a potty training service and that even asking would be asking you to bend to our will -

Again, absolutely, they may. If so they need to find a program that offers it.

it's a very reasonable expectation considering that most full time kids spend more time with you per day than their parents Mon-Fri. And both parents working full time is the standard nowadays, too. This isn't the 1950s.

Again, this is a parents choice. What does that have to do with me requiring a child to ask me to take them to the potty? I have to put all infants in their cribs for safety to be able to take them. It is not unrealistic in any way.

And I couldn't find a single item on the internet to support your view on potty training - on the contrary, everything I found supported that good daycare providers offer potty training programs that meet the needs of each individual child.

As far as I understand everyone here does. We just require the child to ask to go.

I was hard pressed to even find providers that offered similar views to yours other than this forum.

You also would be hard pressed to find providers successful enough in this industry to still be around to give advice as long as I have. Most of us are just new to the internet world.

There were a few but it was literally 9:1 in favor of in daycare potty training programs.

State your sources, I love to see that backed up.

There are many other daycare forum sites and parenting sites out there as well as just googling daycares in each state. So I think it's safe to say that your view is an exception to the standard.

I disagree. I believe your search was started with false information with your misunderstanding and choosing to believe that we do nothing. We do, AFTER the child can verbally ask us to take them potty.

Potty training isn't subjecting everyone to a dirty, contaminated environment - potty training doesn't begin with undies, it begins with pull ups and ends with undies.

I agree. That is exactly how I do it as well. Once the child can ASK me to go potty.

Obviously, kids have set backs and plans may need to change if the child simply isn't ready.

Agreed.

I would never choose a provider who refused to potty train children all together.

Agreed. Here, I do my part once a child can ask me to go potty.

The centers and home providers in our area charge the exact same rate - I know because I've called every single one of them to compare over the years, so no, customers don't pay extra for potty training through centers in our area.

They obviously have pull-ups/diapers before cloth undergarment rules. Many parents want to start in cloth to save money. I think you are purposely missing the point, now.

One thing that is nice about centers is that virtually all of them are better equipped for potty training because good centers have 2 person classrooms and in room bathrooms, usually 2 toilets per room.

I agree, that is why I need them to be able to tell me they need to go BEFORE I take them; To get the other kids in a safe area so I can focus my attention on only one child for a few minutes. This is not rocket science, IMHO.