View Single Post
Daycare Mommy 04:50 AM 03-05-2010
Okay first off, this is not directed at all parents. Read and you will know if it's you I'm ranting about.

<rant>I have it in my policy that I'm here for work + commute times ONLY, so when it happens my terms ARE being violated. Parents tell me that they have doc/dentist appointments and I'm absolutely fine with watching for those. This is not the full extent of what happens though. Parents leave kids in daycare to go shopping, do yardwork, take naps, get their nails or hair done, and go to the gym. Do these things, fine! But take your kids with you. People who work 25 hrs a week 10 minutes away should NOT be leaving Junior in my care 50 hours a week yet this is what happens with some parents.

My rant here is not because I don't want to work, "earn my wages", or be around the children. I LOVE children! That's why I chose this profession! BUT, because I love these children I want what is best for them and what's best for them with very very few exceptions is to be with their real family as much as possible. Daycare is not a consequence-free substitute for spending time with your child. Between daycare for working hours and then later school, you are going to be missing the majority of their childhood already! Save the "me" time for your lunch break and after they go to bed! I watch 7 kids some days for up to 12 hrs and this is what I do. And amazingly it works just fine! Parent's that use daycare more than they must are cheating their child as well as themselves and will realize it only too late.</rant>