View Single Post
Unregistered 11:20 AM 07-27-2011
I don't know how you would find them, but there are evening daycare providers. A friend of mine provides evening care out of her home. I don't know what she charges, though, to compare to your case. I'm also finding that it really depends on the situation for charging, regardless of whether it's inhome or out of home. Considering that she has to do almost nothing except for wake the kids and start getting them ready for 15 minutes plus she and her child get to eat breakfast using your food at your house, I think she getting paid more than she should be. I only pay $4.44 per hour for my daycare for my child (average cost) and that includes 2 snacks and a meal and full care during the day in a center setting. I'm thinking the arrangement is inconvenient for her and her child and she's trying to get out of it or make it more worth her while - I don't think she realizes how well she's got it now. Sounds like she's got little birds chirping in her ear. She's not a nanny, nor a certified or licensed care giver, and even they don't make minimum wage per child - imagine if they did - none of us parents could afford care! You have a babysitter who gets to watch TV, use your internet, eat your food and go to sleep when they want and doesn't have to use their own water, electricity, sewer, internet, TV, nothing. This woman is actually saving money by being at your house (it's only costing her gas money and depending on how far away she lives from you, that may be almost nothing). Who knows what she's searching for that will be on your internet search record - I would never trust someone else to use my internet at home using my computer. Also, something to think about using your own home is theft - you might be better off in the long run bringing your children to a evening care giver's home instead. Otherwise, I would highly suggest your getting passcoded locks for your bedroom where you keep your jewelry and other areas you keep valuables. If I were you, I would keep her on for the money she's asking for and then get busy finding someone else in the meantime during the weekends. Employers are never honest about why the incumbant left their job anyway, so you don't have to tell people interviewing that she's asking too much money. That way you won't have a gap in care. You can interview someone else on the weekends and you don't have to worry about your current provider finding out because you can always post blind ads that ask them to email you their resume to a newly set up blind email address. I'll bet college kids would jump at the chance to work for you because they'd be able to have a day job and then could just sleep at your house. If you have a local college, I would post a blind ad in their child care program area.