View Single Post
Pestle 10:20 AM 01-31-2021
I've been closed with (very very mild) COVID. I suspect that either my husband brought it home a few weeks ago, or my weakest-link daycare family brought it in--that kid's dad, and my husband, are the only people in our group that have regular daily exposure to other people. I'm allowed to reopen tomorrow (pending test results on my daughter and husband).

Their kid had a fever a few weeks ago, but stayed out of care for the duration of that. Like usual, other kids in the daycare have had fevers since, but all those families tested negative. My daycare families all got tested again once I tested positive, and one of the parents has been repeatedly asking me if the other families have been tested. On the one hand, I'm not going to share medical information; on the other hand, I also need to remain vigilant and not allow a sick child into care, which means I can't sugarcoat one client's health in order to make the other clients feel comfortable--I won't disclose who's choosing to test, but I also need to exclude from care anybody that shows evidence of being sick.

Now the family with the formerly-sick kid says the kid has tested "inconclusive." So I'm asking them what the doctor thinks that means, and whether the kid symptomatic now. Doesn't "inconclusive" mean that a low viral load WAS detected?

Without a positive test, I have to rely on symptoms to exclude. But I never had COVID-specific symptoms; I've had a sinus infection since December, and all that happened to me was all of my sinus symptoms (post-nasal drip, ear and eye pressure and jaw pain) kicked way up for three days. I don't exclude for a clear runny nose, which was the only symptom the formerly-sick kid has had since her fever.

So how much of a line can or should I draw with the formerly-sick kid coming back in, once an "inconclusive" test result has been disclosed to me?