View Single Post
Controlled Chaos 10:51 AM 09-23-2014
I have a dcb (3) who has waves of aggressive behavior. He will be a punching, kicking, pushing, biting tornado for a week or so and then pretty manageable for a month or so and then it cycles back. All kids have phases of tough behavior but his are always extreme. Well we are in a tornado of awful phase. By 10am I was done. I isolated him from the other children outside. Inside I have him doing alternate activities from the other children at a separate table. He is coloring, play doh, magnet games etc. I told him we can try again tomorrow (he is only here half the day today). What do you do in this type of situation? I don't want to be cruel with segregating him but I can't put the other children in a bad situation either. I would term, but he is due to leave in January anyway...and he is my godson . Parents are supportive. They don't excuse his behavior but are often dumbfounded by it. He is an only child. He is worlds better than he was a year ago - he used to be always in tornado mode. He shows little to remorse. If anything speaks logically and coldly about his behavior. He tells me I "shouldn't speak to him like that" when I am discipline him or talking to him about his poor choices. I use a calm, quiet voice. Parents would rather him be separated than having to pick him up. I am not licensed yet (in the process) so I don't want to do the wrong thing.

help please