Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
Ac114 06:07 AM 11-14-2019
Originally Posted by Araem910:
Recently took on a 5 year old and he seems very hyper, talks nonstop ( no, really, nonstop questions &#128563. His number one agenda is to do whatever it takes to get attention. My question is, is it worth it? Is it worth the stress? Maybe I’m just getting too old to do this anymore? My nerves are shot by the end of the day and I’m not upset with him, just exhausted. He doesn’t talk back and he’s not a threat to other children, just overly hyper and requires nonstop attention.
Definitely sounds like ADHD. My oldest has ADHD and over the years I have learned that giving him tasks help with the behavior. You could give him a job and reward him with a few minutes of conversation and then give him another job and so forth. I’ve also had to set boundaries with my son and say ok, I need quiet time to recharge so I need a break from all your questions right now. These children need to burn a lot more energy than a typical child so exercising him is also important. Something simple as a medicine ball that he can sit on and bounce will help redirect the extra energy.
Good luck!