View Single Post
Heidi 06:09 AM 08-13-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Good point... Plenty of space/toys/activities, but what CAN be done to prevent the younger dcb from harassing the biter? I can't stay on top of him constantly, I have 5 other children to care for. They are never out of my sight, but it happens so fast that I can't always stop it. Any suggestions for creating a quiet space inaccessible to the younger dcb? Somewhere that older dcb can chill and not be bothered?
Wednesday, I have been going through the exact same scenario. 13 mo "in your face" kid and 20 mo biter. She ONLY bites him.

This brochure is a wonderful tool:
http://www.chs-ca.org/_images/files/..._Eng_print.pdf

I'd already determined by observation that she was biting defensively, not aggressively. Although it's certainly not socially acceptable; it works. Her saying "STOP!" and putting her hand out, or pushing him off her didn't. Her biting him got what she wanted-he moved away.

So, now, if there are times when I cannot be right there, observing, I move HIM, not her. I set him up at the counter (booster chair) and give him some puzzles, or put him in his pnp for a minute while I go to the bathroom. Obviously, it's not presented in as a punishment.

The problem with separating the biter, in this case, is it was giving her less opportunities to engage with the other kids, and reinforcing her tendency to hang on adults. That was a different problem, but one I was really trying to work on, too. So, the separating him worked on both counts. Like I said, so far!

Again, I am also working on his tendency to push his way in. I point out when he's doing it (kindly), and redirect him. "B doesn't like that you are sitting on her. Let's find somewhere else to sit", etc. Or, "move away, dude", on occasion...or the ever popular.. "dcb LEAVE IT!"