View Single Post
Blackcat31 11:07 AM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I only do it because my parents expect it and want to "see" the "results" of the "learning" their children do here. I have great parents, but they don't "get" learning through play. I love my families and my parents, they're great, but they want the more "official" stuff. Someday, once I've gotten more experience under my belt as well as a teacher's license and possibly a Montessori certification, I may be able to convince my clients that I really do know what I'm doing when it comes to a play-based program. Until then, I play it their way.
I did the same thing Silver. All my parents wanted to see tangible arts/craft projects, even when it was painfully obvious that I did all the work. After a few years and a bit of education on the concept of art as a process, I slowly began phasing those old routines out.

Now, I am proud to say that I practice a complete developmentally appropriate child-led play based curriculum approach. I agree that it is frustrating to know the "stuff" (like you do) and not be able to get the parents to understand it.