View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 03:00 PM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
It's not discrimination if they are needing the extra care that wouldn't otherwise be required or care that you aren't comfortable or authorized to do.

Last year I had a DCM contact me about an advertisement and wanted me to watch her (5 yo) that was wheelchair bound, had a shunt in her head, had a feeding tube and had a breathing tube that would need to be adjusted on occasion.

I suggested they hire a nanny or a nurse.

Would that really be considered discrimination? I don't think so.
Good thing I was prepared with my flame suit lol. Again I think I covered this in my reply. All I was responding to was about what was said, that's all. If you would incur more costs that you could afford then no it's not discrimination. If you don't feel comfortable and you can't meet the needs of the child because you are not trained properly, no that is not discrimination to tell them that you can't meet their needs. If you are charging more only because they are special needs and they are a child that does not need any special equipment, materials or modifications like for a child that has down syndrome for example then yes, it can be considered discrimination. I wasn't trying to chew you out or single you out or anything. I just really wanted you to know that you could be opening yourself up to a world of trouble and you might not even know it if you're charging extra only because they are special needs.

Btw: now that your comment was edited and the part of your quote that I was reffering to was removed it does totally look like I'm picking on you lol.