View Single Post
Heidi 11:34 AM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:
To Dot,

I completely understand your desire to do anything to protect your child. However, I am not sure a recording device would even be helpful. As you stated you'd be "checking in from time to time." Well, have you thought about the fact that you will be catching sentences, phrases, and words completely out of context? You won't know what is said before you "click in" for your snippet. A harsh sounding, "NO!" from the teacher could be saving your child from a fall or other injury and you won't know that. All you will hear is the "mean" way the teacher spoke to your child.

Also, I for one, will completely admit that if I had a way to see and/or listen to my child during the day I would very quickly become obsessed with it and want to see and hear everything. I would have a very unhealthy addiction to knowing every little thing that goes on. Is there anything wrong with knowing every little thing that happens? No, not inherently, but is that how you want to spend your time? Do you want to know the sweet little secrets your daughter whispers to her friends? Do you want to every little mistake she makes? How will you feel if you "click in" and hear your daughter doing something naughty? If the teacher redirects her or gives her consequences will you be able to refrain from re-disciplining her at home (for minor offenses that every kid goes through).

Also, take seriously the fact that you will be hearing confidential information that other parents share with the teacher. It isn't right for you to hear about divorces, pregnancies, illnesses, miscarriages, job losses, domestic issues, money troubles, or any other myriad issues parents often confide in us. Sure, this isn't your goal but it WILL happen just by happenstance is you are listening in throughout the day.

I agree that you should pop in to see what is going on at the preschool often. Pop in at different times and on different days. Look through the window on the door (if there is one) before you go in. Stand outside the door before you go in. Volunteer often. This, I think, will ease your fears much much more than listening from afar.

Lastly, I know it is so difficult but you cannot control every experience your child has. She's going to have a mean teacher at some point (Haven't we all? Mine was 2nd grade), she's going to get bullied, she is going to be disappointed when she doesn't get picked for a game or when she doesn't do as well as she liked on a project. These are all tough parts of growing up. Be there for her. Acknowledge and support her feelings. I think that is so much more powerful than listening to her day in snippets.
beautifully written!