View Single Post
brookeroo 06:44 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
all day you want to separate this child?

also maybe I am slow, but why does the child need to go to the doctor?
He is now 21 months old. I have had him since he was 16 months old and he has (prior to me taking him on) had all of his teeth but chews non-stop all day long. He chews my toys up, he eats his diaper, he chews on his arms creating bruises/hickeys, crayons, markers, paper, his feet, he has chewed his shoes up at home and has tried to chew up my husbands shoes, my furniture (wooden bench, banister to my stairway, kitchen chairs, boosters, ect), rocks, sticks, leaves, blankets, he has licked dirt off my husbands mower tractor wheels as well as his wheel barrell, he eats dirt, sand, lint, hair, he scratches at my couches and carpet to get the fuzz to come off the surface and to create a hole to get to the fuzz inside. His mother said that he has chewed the entire railing around his crib to the point they cannot use the crib for the next child. They also put a guard over the rail to keep him from continuing to chew it and he has pried it off and continued chewing it.

Should I keep going?

I have asked her to take him to the doctor or at least call and talk to them about it and she gets offended and defensive about it. When she took him to the doctor last for his well check she said that she mentioned the diaper eating and the doctor told her it was normal and give him a chew toy and therefore I should just drop it and apparently allow it to continue.

Personally I don't feel that keeping him next to me every minute of the day is any healthier for him than it would be to coral him in a superyard in the same room all the other kids are in. I really don't feel that having him under my feet while I'm trying to cook is all that safe. I have stuck him at the table while I've cooked and he screeches the whole time which in turn ... drives everyone crazy. I can't let him color because he eats the crayons and ironically he won't eat most food. ...which his mom said she's fine with. I have a large kitchen so to leave him wondering around while I'm cooking... he is either going to be under my feet in my way or off chewing on something while I'm focused on cooking. For as much of a chore as it is watching this child I don't need to be burning all the food while I'm trying to constantly re-direct what she calls a "habit".