Thread: Processed Foods
View Single Post
Country Kids 09:47 AM 01-15-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Good question, you got my wheels turning! I did a search on Google on What are processed foods? Processed foods are foods that are altered from their natural state. From what I read, there are good processed foods and bad. For instance, certain foods are altered, processed, to prevent food born-illnesses. Foods that are frozen are considered processed, but vitamins and minerals are preserved. Other processed foods such as foods with trans fat are obviously bad....so I think making bread with prepackaged flours isn't really considered processed food. It's still good for you. I always saw processed foods as foods like Spaghetti O's, processed cheese singles, cheese spreads, etc... I'm glad that you brought up this topic! It's funny, I just had a conversation with my sis about eating healthier. We grew up in a home where our mom did make dinners, some totally homemade, but much of it was processed such as boxed potatoes or canned chili and it sounds silly, but to me it was the norm to eat that way. Plus I have always been too skinny and never really cared what I put into my body, I just wanted to gain weight, but now that I've had two kids I want to eat healthier. I feel stupid not knowing how to eat healthy, but when you really haven't, it's like a foreign concept, well for me.
Believe you me, I'm going to do alot more research on this as well. We have produce at the store but nothing like in the summer! We don't have things like green beans during the winter so our option is to buy frozen or canned. We don't have anywhere to store butchered meat so thats another thing that is out for us.

I will be doing some research though and see what I can find.