View Single Post
amberrose3dg 03:36 AM 10-10-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
DCB, 3.5 years.

DCB started with me second week of August 2018 and is a dream child. He cried at drop off for about 1 month and now he enters fine but hides behind mom. When he did cry, it lasted all of 10 seconds after mom left. He's a calm child. An emotional child. A smart child. Gets along very well with others, follows directions well, keeps his hands and feet to himself.

DCD brought up some concerns today and it took me by surprise. First he asked if we went outside. I said yes with the exception of the past few days because I laid winter grass seed and we need to stay off until it takes root. He asked if DCB plays while outside. I told him it's about 50/50. Sometimes he plays, sometimes he just walks around. Dad asked what we have to do outside. I told him we have a playhouse, slide, ride on toys, balls, chalk and bubbles.

DCD then told me that DCB is different at home. He no longer likes to go outside when he is home. DCD will ask DCB if he wants to swim or go to the park and DCB will say no that he wants to stay at home.

DCD then said that DCB just seems off. Like he is afraid to get in trouble. DCD asked if DCB gets in trouble here. I told him no, told him I implement redirection and time out here, but I don't remember when DCB's last TO was as it's been so long. (I think DCB has only had one TO and that was for throwing a toy.)

DCD also asked if there was yelling. No, I don't yell at the children. I did not tell DCD this, but my son yells/has tantrums often because he is 18 months. DCD knows I have a son.

DCD expressed that he doesn't want DCB to have his spirit squashed. Said that mom grew up in an authoritarian style household and so it is important to DCD that DCB keeps his spirit and fun.

DCB has never gotten a bad report at the end of the day. When he would cry at drop off I would send pictures to his parents when he stopped. I've sent photos of DCB doing activities. The only thing I can think of that would upset DCB is that I make him put his own clothing on. He can put his underwear/pants on but he doesn't like to and he takes forever. So after a few minutes the other children and I will move on to an activity and DCB joins us when he puts his clothes on. I can spend 10 minutes waiting with the group for him to do it. If the group and I move along, his clothes are on in 30 seconds. DCD told me he is similar at home. It's not that he won't do something, it's that he takes forever to do it.

I told DCD I sense concern and worry from him. He said they were happy here, liked my structure, the activities I do with the children, etc. But he just wanted to watch DCB. DCD admitted that DCB has had a lot of changes. And wondered if DCB is upset because DCB's sister gets to go to work with DCM (she is a teacher) and he comes here.

I am super lost here.

Is it me? Is it this DCB? Am I taking this too personally? I want DCB to be happy here. Truth be told I thought he was until today! I have to be honest I am kind of confused as to how DCB not wanting to swim, go to the park, or being different at home is my fault?
How many hours is he in care for? I am sorry but I think it is either A. he spends too much time at daycare and is glad to finally be home
b. he knows how to get his way.

I would not let that bother you too much.