View Single Post
professionalmom 11:31 AM 07-29-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
I don't think it's that we don't respect your opinions...but I personally felt like she was telling me that my families are liars when she has no clue who they are!

My comment about finding a new profession wasn't because I don't like your opinion. It wasn't directed at anyone in particular. There is just a lot of parent bashing that happens here so it makes me wonder if you (meaning the person complaining/hating/etc on parents) is truly happy doing daycare. And FWIW...there are 3 Bachelor's and 2 Master's degrees behind this user name.

Bottom line is this. If there weren't parents "dumping" their kids at daycare...we'd all be out of a job.

I happen to L-O-V-E my job, my DCK, my DC families. Love it. I look forward to each and every day with them. You won't find me on here complaining about them on an open forum especially where they can come read it themselves!!
Ok, finally a post I can work with. I think what you describe as "parent bashing" is just very loving parents and providers who are appalled by some of the actions of some parents. I never referred to parents as "dumping" their kids in daycare, like the parents were just sitting at home, unemployed. Most kids are in daycare because the parent HAS to work and it's not a choice that they relish. My concern was ONLY for the poor babies and toddlers that are already in daycare for 50+ hours a week, then the parents (sadly, it's usually the moms) are begging family and friends to watch the kid on the weekends (so they can go out and have fun) and then they say they need a break and take a week long vacation in another state.

I loved doing daycare. I loved that my DCKs had me to take care of them and give them hugs and kisses when mommy HAD to be at work. I felt bad for them because they didn't get to spend as much time with mom as they wanted. I loved that they also had my husband in the evenings to play with, since most of them didn't have dads in their lives. I felt like I was giving them a second family. I loved them so much and I ached for those precious little babies and toddlers who didn't understand why mom would disappear for a whole week. The child would cry. I would cry. And for what? So mom could go to Las Vegas (or whereever) to party, drink, gamble, meet men, etc? It was never a judgment on anyone on here. It was the immense sadness for kids in those type of situations, which I have tried to express and state over and over again. But somehow it kept getting stretched into meaning that no child should ever be out of the mother's care for even a second until age 18.

Truth be told - I can't wait until my kids are old enough to say, "Can we go to grandma's lakehouse this summer?" When they do, I promise you, I will be booking that honeymoon cruise that DH and I never got. Until then, we spend a little time each day on "us" and focus the rest on raising our DD (soon to be 3 girls). Oh, and the kids will probably not know that we are slipping away for a vacation while they are on their fun filled adventure with grandma and grandpa.