View Single Post
actaktmdt 12:02 PM 07-29-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
And the only way to connect with your SO or spouse is to take a week long vacation away from the children (I am ONLY talking about children under 5 years old – people. Do not blow this up again to mean 17 year old children)? Actually, statistics prove that couples that spend a little time each DAY or at least each WEEK re-connecting have the healthiest relationships. Some things that are cited as the best predictors of long term marital success: does your spouse give you a kiss goodbye? Hello? Do you give each other a compliment at least 3 times a week (preferably every day)? Do you talk about things other than money, kids, and chores? These are just a FEW ways to stay connected. And it’s much easier to STAY connected on a daily basis than RE-CONNECT a couple times a year or even once a month. You don’t need a fancy restaurant, a hotel, or a beach for that. Just open your mouth and TALK to your spouse. Communication is the key, not a vacation.

Sure if thats possible. It may not be for all families...Parents may work multipule jobs or different shifts to be able to get by and pay their own bills. Its also important to spend more than a few minutes here and their with your spouse. We talking about both quality and quanity here.

And that is what the extended family, our church family, and our friends’ families are for. Do you honestly think that the only way to learn about other family structures is without mom and dad present?

yes because a child only knows what they are raised in and around 24/7.

When did anyone say this would not be acceptable? Obviously if a parent is in ill health the child needs to be cared for by someone else. This is NOT the example given by the OP. As you so eloquently advised Judy to do – stay on topic, don’t go running off reading more into it and making up other scenarios.

How do you know that the parents have an "ill marriage" that needs to be fixed? They arent allowed to get away to fix it between themselves sans kids. The kids need parents who are working together as a team.
No one ever said that you don’t know anything or that you’re “stupid” as one poster tried to claim some people (possibly me) are. Funny, how if someone doesn’t agree with YOU or those with your opinion, then she is (or I am) told to “find a new profession” and told that we are judgmental or stupid. You have every right in the world to have your opinion and I do not fault you for it. But I do have a right to my opinion as well – respect THAT. I never said that I’m a better mom because I do this or that. I simply stated that I am proud that I have been with my child for most of her life and she is never in the care of non-relatives. Instead of “good for you” or “I wish I could do that”, some people got defensive. Heaven help me if I mention I have a college degree. They might think I’m arrogant and shouldn’t BRAG or be proud of the hard work and dedication I put into things. Sorry for having a moment of pride.

No but it was made out to be that if one side doesnt agree with the other than well we just have fagile egos.....FWIW I also have a Bachlors Degree

Actually, she did in another thread, that same day. Go check it all out. I think the title is “modern parenting”. So, checkmate – Judy (and sometimes I) do give CITED research references. Have you or anyone who supports your position? Hmmmm…

Yes perhaps in another posting, but she didnt bring it here...there was no copy and paste.....the point was she wanted someone to bring info to her but couldnt bother bring the same info to this thread.