View Single Post
mamamanda 04:04 AM 11-13-2015
Dcg is 22 months old and has been really struggling with hitting. She will smile at a kid and then slug them or shove them down without warning. She's started pinching them around the neck and shoving them backward to the ground. She is extremely verbal so I don't think this is a communication issue. She speaks in sentences and expresses herself well. I have been consistently moving her to the playpen each time she hits/shoves and noticed huge improvement. She almost stopped where we were only having one or two incidents a day so I was just watching more closely and talking about "no hit. hitting hurts." etc. As soon as I stopped moving her to the playpen it started up again. Obviously I need to go back to that, but I felt bad b/c there were a few days she spent most of the day in there b/c she would hit, play in playpen a few minutes, say sorry and ask to rejoin group, 2 minutes later hit again...all day long. Anyway, yesterday she ran full speed at my dog and hit him in his head and face with both hands three times all while screaming in his face. I was yelling "No, no, no!" and running to them but he growled and snapped at her before I could stop it. He didn't break the skin, but she had a red mark on her hand where his tooth grazed her as he tried to get away. Mom and dad were very understanding and more embarrassed by her behavior than anything. I know they are truly working on it at home, but what more can I do to keep her, the other kids, and the animals safe? She is a genuine sweet heart most of the time and her parents are wonderful. At this point it is just her and my own children so I have a little more time to focus on them/smaller group size, etc. I just don't know what specifically to do and that was terrifying, both seeing her hurt him and also seeing him growl at her like that. Any advice?