View Single Post
nannyde 06:15 PM 11-10-2011
Originally Posted by Doodlebug:
I was a conference where Tom Copeland was a presenter and he made a wonderful suggestion that I am going to try to implement. That their two weeks final payment up front. Some parents would freak out and way they can't afford it but he actually suggested that you can just add an amount on each week so it isn't as "painful" for them. Then if they don't give you a full two weeks notice or just walk out on you, its already paid. For those that actually give you the two weeks notice, they feel like they are getting two weeks free.
I think it's a better idea to take the two weeks deposit and require a calander month notice. That way you have two weeks in the bank and get two more paydays before the child leaves care. Require notice to be given ONLY on a working Friday and in writing. That way you will know each Friday that if you haven't received notice you have at least one month before a child will depart care.

Two weeks notice is rediculous in this economy. I don't know who invented the idea that two weeks was reasonable but it isn't. If you take your time and properly interview families to get the "right fit" you need a few weeks to complete the process.

Can you imagine how the housing rental businesses would do with only two weeks notice? There's always the complaint that child care costs as much as housing but there's no connection to the idea that because it IS such an important service that the owner/providers need TIME to "fill the space". There's a reason why landlords want a months notice given on the first of the month. We deserve that kind of notice too.

The incoming families will appreciate your efforts in taking time to interview them and the outgoing family will need to be organized, upfront, and careful to be respectful during that time. Use the two week deposit for the LAST two weeks of care or vacation/holiday pay that is owed.