View Single Post
Lucy 11:25 PM 11-12-2011
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
Wow... I don't log on often enough.. I suppose...
I have tried to read this all the way through.. I mostly read everything the first page.. and.. I mostly read everything the second page...
after that.. I basically faded out...
too much stress for me this FRIDAY night that I'm sitting alone .. bored.. and reading.. lol..

but.. in the end..
I guess I feel the OVERWHELMING NEED to throw in my 2 cents worth...That's probably all it will be worth to ANYONE..

I've been in daycare over 19 years now...
so.. I actually HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ME...
very similar situation..
and.. honestly.. it's been so many years ago..
I can't remember it now..

Here's my CURRENT OPINION..
First of all..
KIDS SAY THE DARNDEST THINGS.. don't they?
so...with that said..
Honestly.. I WOULD NEVER have approached a parent regarding this issue..if I'd been told by a child..
I just would NOT DO IT...
I'd have kept my mouth SHUT.. period.. end of discussion..
Now.. I'm ALL ABOUT open communication between child care provider.. and client...
I am..
I say it in my PARENT HANDBOOK..
BUT.. IF one of my kids had told me that..
I would NOT have asked the parent..
why..?
I don't know. I guess I agree with several of the providers on here..
it COULD HAVE BEEN that they were looking for evening care..
it could have been that they were looking for care when she was on vacation the following week..
OR.. YES... it could have been that they were thinking of moving their child..
but.. I honestly still would not have mentioned it to them..
if they want to shop other providers..
either because of fee..
or location...or hours of operations.. or alternate services that might be provided elsewhere... then.. let them shop ..
if they find someone they feel will meet their child care needs in a better way.. then let them give proper notice.. and move on with life..

IT HAPPENS.. all the TIME..
the great thing about daycare..
IF you provide a quality LEVEL of service... IF you have a professional attitude...
then your clients will KNOW THAT...and RESPECT THAT...
and if they decide to move on...
then let them MOVE ON..
There are always more children..
Hello.. what is it now.. 7 billion people on the planet now..
hello..
child care providers..
JOB SECURITY..
people keep having KIDS..

Now.. as for the protecting your income..
you need to stop what you are doing.. and you need to RE TYPE YOUR PARENT HANDBOOK..
I'm NOT going to tell you WHAT TO DO..BUT... I will say this..
for over 15 years I had it in my PARENT HANDBOOK that parents were REQUIRED to give 2 weeks ADVANCE WRITTEN NOTICE of withdrawel of their child.. AND.. payment was due for those 2 weeks..
I can't even begin to tell you how many times I was burned... people call on Sunday evening and just say.. we decided to let grandma keep the kids.. to save us money.. or.. we chose another provider.. better location.. or whatever..
OR,.... plenty of them that just never showed up again..
well..
I ended that..
I charge a 2 week deposit..
I do allow them to PAY IT OUT.. if they need to.. but.. once it's paid.. it's on record..as a credit.. until they give proper notice...
if they give proper WRITTEN NOTICE..then.. last 2 weeks of care are paid..
if they don't.. they forfeit deposit..
I've had it happen both ways.. .. believe it or not..
If you have a Parent Handbook that is well thought out.. and protects you.. the provider.. then.. you wouldn't need to worry about whether they are planning to leave or not..
so they leave..
let them give notice..
and leave..
but..
there is ONE THING every single provider needs to remember..
NO ONE is EVER going to treat you professionally.. until you have a professional contract/handbook.. and.. until you conduct yourself as a professional.. and to ambush a parent... and third degree them about whether they are LEAVING YOUR CARE...because you had 4 year old JOHNNY tell you that he went to VISIT his new daycare..
well
sorry... but
NOT PROFESSIONAL..
NOT AT ALL..
period..

sorry if I stepped on any toes..
just MY OPINION.. that's all..
I spent 19 years arriving at the PARENT HANDBOOK I currently use..
Will it suit everyone?
No.. but.. it suits me.. and.. after 19 years of this business.. I JUST NOW feel like I'm DOING IT RIGHT.. I am able to provide quality care.. love the kids.. enjoy our days together.. AND protect my business with good policies and clear communication about those policies from DAY 1 ...

www.tammyschildcare.com
Now THIS is the most level-headed thing I've read on this forum site in a long time. Amen to every word you said. I couldn't agree more.

Edit: I love your handbook!! It's so complete and covers anything and everything. I may have to steal from it, with your permission of course! Oh, btw, it's spelled sepArate, and sepAration. (Sorry, I get in trouble sometimes for correcting spelling!) And also, I noticed you didn't mention Memorial Day in your holiday list. You've really put some time into developing your handbook - I can tell. Nice job.