View Single Post
Starburst 01:35 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
I was also told to spank a child when they were bad. I couldn't believe it. But looking back... Those were some naughty kids. Lol
Heck, at my school's CD center the director (one of my teachers and a former FCC provider) said she terminated a parent on the spot when she saw them spank their child at the center (I think it was out of the classroom but was still in the center). She teacher that in class says that according to the law, parents have the right to spank their kids in their own homes but not leave marks. But the mom did it on daycare grounds where there was other daycare kids present and at daycare (Title 22) children have a right to not be physically punished and other kids in the daycare have a right not to witness or be exposed to another child being physically punished. The director also made a report when she saw a mark on a girl's lower back that the mom apperntly made spanking her before daycare (the girl was wearing thin PJs and I guess she buises easily) but the direct still had to report it because it was a mark left as a result of hitting.

I was think about adding a clause like that in my contract that spanking is not allowed on daycare grounds (or my property including the house, the yard, and the drive way) and being caught can lead to termination. In CA it is technically illegal to spank a child under the age of 3; if your child is over three and you do it at home and do not leave a mark even if the child says they got a spanking I technically have no right to tell you how to punish your child (but if they have marks or are injured that is another story) BUT when you are on MY property and I or another daycare child/family witnesses it and licensing doesn't allow physical punishment of children on daycare property- Than I have the right to say that is not allowed at my house and I can possibly report it. I personally don't believe in spanking and don't want it on my daycare/home property because I don't want the other kids who may or may not be spanked to be exposed to it. Also that is a form of humiliation for the child if other parents/kids see it- which is also considered unethical punishment in daycare.

Sorry for Hijacking the thread that just really seems disterbing that parents are willing to let someone they just met spank their child. I haven't started my daycare yet so I don't have any weird requests. But I was watching this show called "Parental Descretion" once (its like a late night mommy talk show) and they did this candid camera bit where a fake expecting mom was doing interveiws for a nanny and she asked weird questions like "I plan on working alot and don't want my baby to forget me. I plan on getting a mask made of my face, will you be willing to wear this mask when your with the baby?" (they all must have been desperate for a job because they all said 'yes' ) she also told them she was a 'Tiger Mom' and wanted the potential nannies to pretty much yell at the baby to calm them down when they are too fussy (and she had them show her how they would do it using a doll).