View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 05-25-2012
Originally Posted by jbell:
We met with the director yesterday and both families are okay with their response.

1. As far as the guarantee that they would be in the same class, the previous director was under the assumption that the whole class would transition together to the next level. But, due to some structural changes and an influx of about 20 children from the waiting list, two classes needed to be created for 3-4's. We understand the issue here and don't feel mislead.

2. 17 children from the current class needed to be split into the new classes. 12 boys and 7 girls. They wanted to keep the boy/girl ratio even and have a good mix of existing students and new students in each of the new classes. We're okay with that decision.

3. Our boys specifically were split. Many of you hit this nail on the head. They are so familiar with each other that there is a sibling rivalry going on. This results in a couple of unwanted behaviors. One, they are best friends first thing in the morning and then it devolves into fighting and conflict over normal stuff. They pretty much only act like this with each other and, both are very considerate of other children, from what we gather. Two, there are instances of jealousy from both boys when one plays with another child, thus inhibiting free development of other relationships and experiences.

4. There will be plenty of time during the day, that all the children from both classes will be together. Both classes will have several 1-1/2 hour periods together for group activities and playground time and, at the end of the day, when children are picked-up, the classes will be merged. They also will attend all field trips as one group and other activities as well.

We are please with the response we received from our daycare. Our director sat down with us and shared with us their decision process and even acknowledged their faults in some communication. She responded to all of our questions and concerns and specifically laid out the pre-transition and transition process, as well as what we can expect over the next 12 months for curriculum changes and expectations for our children.

All in all I think it was a good experience and outcome and we appreciate all of your responses and, I will strongly suggest to other parents to use this forum in the future. I would also suggest other parents address these types of concerns directly with your daycare. It was a good experience.
I am so happy you were able to sit down with your director and get a response and explanation that made sense and was in the best interest of both boys. I am glad you were able to put their best interests first as well and can take the positives from this situation and move forward.

I think that the more your son and his best friend are allowed to develop and gorw as individuals, the stronger their friendship will be since it will eb based on common interests and not just convenience of being together so much.

Again, so very happy you have found a good resolution and it definitely sounds as if you have a wonderful center for your child to be in!