View Single Post
nannyde 03:29 AM 01-04-2018
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
One problem with doing therapy after hours is that the kids are tired by the end of the day. Most if my kids were in bed within 2 hours or less of leaving my house. Tired cranky kids don't handle therapy well

The kids I had all needed therapy throughout the day. One had a weighted vests that was on 2 hours, off 2 hours. One had special shoes to be worn in a schedule. One was a pediatric stroke survivor. He needed a constant eye to teach him how to move to get the most benefit from his muscles. Working parents can't meet these needs. I can. Since they spend most of their waking hours here, I have a responsibility to do this as part of quality care. It isn't for everyone, but it worked well for me.
I don't provide service to children who only spend two waking hours in the evening with their parents. I also base my rates on when the child is picked up. The earlier the pick up after nap the way cheaper the daycare. This draws early departure kids who have four to five hours of awake time with their parents at night. They don't go to bed early because they have had a long and deep sleep afternoon nap. When their parents pick up they are well rested and ready for action.

The kids I care for have a pretty even amount of awake time with their parents as they do in care so there isn't any reason why the therapist can't come to their home before daycare, after daycare, and on weekends.

We are talking about therapist coming to the home not the therapy that needs to be done. If a child has an every two hour order then they would have about two or three occurrences in a day when I would assist. If they arrived at eight then I would do the vest at ten and two.

Children need AWAKE time every day with their parents. A significant amount every day. Children who spend a significant amount of awake time with their parents daily are, ime, much easier to care for than children who have two hours plus the morning rush. I target the families who get up and spend time in the morning with their kids by having a family breakfast, and pick up early or stay up later if they pick up later. Being tired isn't an issue at all. After daycare is their time to cut loose, run house, run the town, and spend time doing things with their parents.