View Single Post
GretasLittleFriends 10:22 AM 05-05-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Not at all. Honestly, with all the paperwork and then entering it onto their website, I don't think it is worth it. It is sooooooooooo much extra time and stress making sure they have just enough of this and that. Plus, I have families that don't allow their kids to drink milk and I have to still put it in front of them or get into trouble. So waste. Lots and lots of waste! The kids don't eat near all of what I am required to feed them. I am going to give it a try thru the summer (since I will be feeding so many more kids at each meal time). But I may not continue next school year.
I asked about the food waste when I first started with the food program. The answer I was given was that I have to "offer" the food. The children don't have to eat/drink it. I was also told I could feed the kids "family style" meaning I set the dishes out for each child, then put all of the food in the center of the table. The deal with that is I need to have enough food for each child a serving. So, if I have 6 kids and they all need to be offered 1/4c of green beans I cook up 1.5c of green beans, and set them on the table and dish up each child's individually. I know Johnny doesn't like green beans, but I put a few on his plate offering them to him. If he wants more his helping is available in the pot, yet not wasted.