View Single Post
nannyde 08:16 AM 06-25-2014
Originally Posted by allsmiles:
i am REALLY appallled by this seeing that I am a new provider (2 years) and my trying to be flixible and helpful to parents work schedule and accepting excuses caused a spread of stomach virus and a few pink eye cases in my daycare and family. In both cases once i FINALLY insisted the parent go to the dr for something they felt was allergies or growth spurt, the child turned out to be sick. By the time i got my backbone and enforced what STATE REGULATIONS required, it was too late.

Now I understand a note sometimes seems a waste of time to him, but as someone else said before I require a note only after a long stint of symptoms and nobody has had to bring back one yet WHY? because the child WAS sick
I was thinking back on the last year or two and I can only think of twice when I asked for a diagnosis from a doc. Both were breathing issues and one I was right and one was nothing.

The one I was wrong.was a tiny newborn and he was making a breath sound I had NEVER heard before. It scared the be$hit out of me. The parents brought him right back and the doc was right. There was nothing wrong. I just didn't know what else to do.

Other than that I haven't asked for doc visits. If the parent asks me what I would do then I tell them what I would do as a mom. As a child care provider, I only ask for a visit if it's serious.

Now I have had LEGIONS of times where parents have taken their kid in to undo an exclusion. Countless. I have even had sick kids I didn't exclude who have been taken to the doc on Sunday to get a note so they could come Monday with excludable illnesses.

I tell the parent the same thing... if the kid has x symptoms they are excluded regardless if they are concomitant with allergies, teething, blocked tear duct, or ear infection.