View Single Post
Cat Herder 10:36 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Catherder is correct & I know first-hand. Before I was doing childcare my in-laws stayed overnight with our then 8-month old son & 2 1/2 yr old son. Late in the evening our 8-month-old (who had had RSV & pneumonia when he was only 2-months old both of which required week-long hospitalizations) developed a croupy cough out of nowhere. We had a form filled out for the in-laws giving them permission to take him to the ER & they did so. ER did give them a little flak about it not being notarized BUT they definitely did not deny him care. So I don't think they truly need to be notarized even though they may tell you otherwise.
I have a feeling they were giving them a bit of flak because respiratory symptoms in pediatrics are "Priority One" meaning the preferred course of action would have been to call 911 instead of transporting POV. This is especially true if the child had a history of asthma or this was his first time having croup. The number one cause of cardiac arrest in children is respiratory arrest.

They may have been trying to convey that information and just did not do as good a job of it as they should have. It is not uncommon.

They were afraid of the liability of a bad outcome based on a signed parental note telling them to drive the child themselves...especially if the doctor who told you to do that worked within their system..IYKWIM?