View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 08:39 AM 04-27-2010
Go with your gut feeling. You're in the position to be picky since you have interviews that want in so instead of the parents interviewing you to see if they like you, you are interviewing them to see if you like them.

I ask whether it long-term care they are looking for, what they expect in a childcare provider, how they want you to handle discipline, potty training etc. Ask about food and other allergies, whether they have strange habits etc. And ask about whether they've ever been in daycare before and with who. If they have never been in daycare before ask who has been watching them. If they are currently in daycare ask why they are leaving and whether or not they will be giving a two-weeks notice and why or why not. Keep an ear out for the type of answers they give and whether you feel comfortable with what they say. I had a lady I interviewed once tell me that she had already given her DC a two-weeks notice and needed to start right away because her notice was already up. I asked for her last DC info and called myself. Turns out that she was behind in payments and the other DC had no idea she was looking for another Daycare. On the other hand I once had a lady straight out tell me that she would not be giving her DC a two-week notice because she didn't want to take her baby there another day and that she was already paid up. I called and asked and the DC confirmed it was true and began slandering her saying all this stuff about how mom didn't provide breast milk or formula and forgot to take diapers. I called licensing and checked up on the provider and it turns out that the provider had two complaints on her in the past two months (both of which pulled their kids out) and this parent I was interviewing (didn't know about the complaints) was there only 1 month and didn't like the way she took care of the kids and was pulling hers too. I accepted this family and they're great. Pay up to two weeks in advance, are never late, leave extra formula, diapers, baby food here at daycare etc.

My point is, follow your instincts and ask a lot of Q's. If during your interviews theres something you feel iffy about, in most cases it turns into a bigger problem later. Do your homework and check references.