View Single Post
professionalmom 09:04 PM 09-20-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
The bottom line is that you can either discipline them yourself now, or have the penal system discipline them later.
I TOTALLY AGREE!!! I hold a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice. Try to find a police officer, correctional officer, or probation / parole officer who does NOT repeat this same sentiment. Most of the people I went to school with said this exact thing, "Either discipline your kids when they're young or I'll do it for you when they become teens or adults."

Plus, let's compare: a swat on a diapered tush vs. 5-10 years in a 5 by 9 cell with someone serving a life sentence who hasn't had sex in 10 years? Darn, straight I'll swat my daughters' tushies when they deserve it. And "deserve it" usually means they are endangering themselves (pulling out the outlet covers) or doing something that could do serious harm (DD kicking my belly during a diaper change, with me pregnant with twins and desperately trying to NOT have contractions or any more dilation).

That's not to say that people who don't spank have kids that will end up doing time. That's for the parents who don't do anything. As for the parents who don't spank, but have other methods - great! But keep in mind, the techniques you use, may not work on every kid. For instance, I got a couple swats growing up, but it was that look of disappointment and loss of trust, coupled with a firm tone and lecture that would have me in tears faster than anything. I have cousins who could ignore all that, but would respond to a spank much better. Children are not all alike and no cookie cutter discipline (created by someone who has never met my child(ren) will ever be appropriate for ALL children.