View Single Post
Crystal 12:56 PM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
How about one year of maternity leave, paid, with job security at the end of the year? Many other countries do that, and it would give mothers a chance to bond during that precious first year. Let's be honest, does a 6 week old newborn baby really belong with anyone else but the mother? Society has made it so that new mothers HAVE to work. The women's movement was about choice, and now most of us women don't have a choice. We have to work.

Many of us have chosen to work at home. No, it's not the same, but it's better (at least in my experience) for me to be with my children and be the one to influence them. It is a huge financial sacrafice, but at least, as working mom/daycare providers, we can be there for them.

Nutrition and over-medication are HUGE problems too. How do you expect a child to behave without adequate sleep and pumped up on chocolate milk and Burger Kind cini-minis for breakfast? (Pop a pill- that's how). These pills are restructuring their brain wiring and their brains never develop properly.
I really think that it is less about society and more about people thinking they have to keep up with the joneses.....we have become a very materialistic country......women with working husbands (or vice versa) don't really HAVE to work.....they HAVE to work because of the choices they make....having to have a new car every few years, having to have the latest iphone or ipad, having to have, HAVE, HAVE......

It comes down to setting priorities........is HAVING more, more important than raising yuor family?