View Single Post
spedmommy4 07:24 PM 09-17-2016
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I agree, it takes a extra time, and for what? And how can one person do it all? I don't know. But I just don't agree with the notion that planning a curriculum is awful and even absurd for babies- because, really, all it means is that you are making a few plans in the best interest of the child. Where people get messed up, I think, is believing the word "curriculum" means academics. "Curriculum" really means care giving activities at these young ages- and "curriculum planning" means doing it consciously. And of course, planning the environment conscientiously as well - not constantly asking questions and directing things. I'm all about the free play. But I can lesson plan it and facilitate it through an intentional environment.

At the same time, I don't have 5 children M-F, 6 AM to 6 PM. I don't know how someone could fit their planning in when they have a 12 hour work day and no breaks and no help :/ It's easy to say what we would do if we were in a position, quite another to actually do it, when in that position! I just agree with the idea of thinking ahead and planning. It keeps me focused and gets me to do things that wouldn't otherwise get done. Now should that method be mandatory - and therefore we then call child care providers "teachers" because they write down lesson plans? Idk. I feel like I was exposed to the best of both worlds because as I was taking my ECE classes I had my first son, we went to a co-op like Bev Bos'. One director was a by the book, curriculum developer (she was formerly the director of the college ECE program) and the other "assistant" director was completely free, emergent curriculum, daily to the point she could hardly stand to have the season written down in the planner because that was too much teacher directing lessons! After three years there as the chair of the children's curriculum committee, in the end, I guess, I became some of each style. So, I like the idea of having a plan, but making it completely child centered/initiated. And, I feel like if I am doing all this, and I have years of experience and education in this, then yes, I am a "teacher".
In general, I like the idea of high quality standards and some curriculum in child care. I don't mind the planning and I love teaching.

But . . . I have a few concerns with QRIS and requiring higher education for teachers. The first is that requiring child care providers to have degrees drives the price way up. We have QRIS here in Oregon and certified providers are required to be a step 8 on the Oregon registry. That means they need an Associate's. The average cost of care is $900 a month for a preschooler. (Family child care rate)

The other concern I have is that the government loves standardization. I attended the QRIS workshop here and there was an approved list of curriculum to choose from. I would hate for that to become a nationwide norm for child care.

I think that one of the great things about preschool and child care is the number of choices that parents have. They can pick a play based, RIE, Reggio, or Montessori child care. Standardization in child care takes those choices away from parents. I certainly hope child care doesn't become "school" for kids birth-5.