View Single Post
Crystal 08:33 AM 06-01-2010
Originally Posted by fctjc1979:
I reserve getting down to the child's level for two things - 1. praising the child for something unexpected or especially praiseworthy and 2. teaching something new. When I teach something new, I get on their level so that they know that we can learn together, so I can see their face well enough to know that they are paying attention, and to see their face enough to know if they are getting it. This goes for things like learning colors, shapes, etc and it also goes for discipline when it's something I honestly don't think the child knew before. For example, one dcb grew up around bad words and used them because that's what he heard at home. I got down on his level and told him that those words were unacceptable while he was with me. I explained that I knew that he didn't know and so he wasn't in trouble, but that now that he knew the rules, he would be expected to follow them. I also explained that there would be consequences for not following the rules.

I think that there needs to be a clear hierarchy of control. Children should know that they are not in charge. I guess you could call that intimidation but I think of it as a way of allowing the children to feel comfortable knowing that someone is taking care of them. Children who know that someone else is in control are more free to explore, learn, and make friends because they aren't worried about not knowing where the boundaries are. Just my opinion.
And, I agree. BUT, I do not think you have to stand OVER/hover OVER a child to get your point across. As I said before, I do not do that, and the children here CLEARLY know who is "in control" Personally, I believe if you ever have to raise your voice you are the one who is "out of control". My group know the boundaries, respect those boundaries, and we have AWESOME days together.