View Single Post
nannyde 12:12 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by nancy123:
They were providing morning snack @ 8:30(my kids get there at 7:00am already feed) and afternoon snack @ 3:30, and all milk and juice for the day. The children bring their own lunches, no breakfast is served. The center will continue to provide all drinks and afternoon snack only. My kids get up at 6:00 and eat a small breakfast (b/c it is early, they are not very hungry) and we leave the house @ 6:50, so they are hungry @ 8:30.
Yup

It sounds like they are doing breakfast with the a.m. snack. They couldn't tell you guys that the kids were scarfing down the snack and the other parents were bringing in their kid without breakfast so they told you the opposite: They are NOT eating so it's not necessary and they are throwing food away.

I promise you that if they are doing a snack at eight thirty they are going to have a LOT of parents who don't do ANY breakfast at all. My guess is they tried doing "snack" and a small cup of juice (this would be a few crackers and four ounces of juice) and then found that they had a TON of kids still really hungry and wanting the snacky snack food "snack". They ended up DOING breakfast with a bunch of hungry kids.

If they cut off the snack then they can say to the parents that they will NOT have any food until lunch unless the parents provide the food. They will most likely get hit with a lot of "snack" food in the lunch boxes that are really for the kids breakfast.

It's a simple fix: Just pop in your kids lunchbox a baggie of dry cereal and a juice box and ask them to give it to them when the kids are hungry. Also if you aren't doing this: consider doing a really nice hearty home made breakfast for your kids and sit down with them in the morning to eat. Home made pancakes, biscuits and gravy, french toast, oatmeal and fruit... stuff like that. If you get up maybe fifteen minutes earlier and have some special time with them and then make a good hefty breakfast you should be fine.

Having a good home made breakfast together is such a wonderful way to start the day. It doesn't matter if it's at six a.m. or six thirty... if you all get to bed at a reasonable time at night and are prepared for the morning you should be able to have that family time together which will really increase their liklihood of eating a nice big breakfast.

I have a group now where every parent gets up and MAKES breakfast and has breakfast as a family. They are super awesome kids and soooooooooo healthy and well behaved. I love this about my group.