Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
Thriftylady 05:52 AM 07-02-2015
Originally Posted by awilliams123:
Why is it that ANYTHING that goes wrong with a child, the parents immediately think it's something that happened in daycare? I am so tired of this. I don't know how many times parents have picked their child up from daycare and later called or text me to ask me about something that's wrong with their child. The problem is they aren't really asking you what happened, they're implying that it's something that happened while their child was in your care. Some come right out and accuse you. The most common is bumps/scrapes/bruises. Every time a parents sees any type of mark on their child, it must have been something that happened in daycare. The truth of the matter is, 9 times out of 10, IT HAPPENED AT HOME!! We pay more attention to children that most parents because we know we're going to be accused if anything goes wrong! yesterday a parent sent me 3 text after she arrived home with pictures of tiny scratches she observed on her son. All three of the scratches were on his back, which is an area I don't generally see on the children since I don't usually have a reason to pull their shirts up. The only time I observe their backs is when they have an accident and I have to change their shirts. Other than that, I see face, arms, legs, and of course private parts when I change their diapers. Since I don't generally look at their backs I honestly couldn't say whether the scratches were there when they arrived to daycare or not, but for me this was the final straw. I sent out this memo to parents. " Dear parents, effective immediately, I will begin to conduct a visual exam of each child upon arrival each morning and every evening before they leave. Any marks I observe on your child that were not their when your child was last in my care will be documented and you will be notified immediately. I will also document and inform you of any marks I observe on your child that I observe at the end of the day that weren't there upon arrival." I know this is a LOT to do everyday, twice a day, for every child. But I feel I don't have another choice. I have to have a way of defending myself. And if it's something that's occurring while a child is in my care, I want to know this as well so I can prevent it. I have noticed that when ever a parent discovers that the mark is from something that happened at home, they down play it and make it seem as though it's no big deal, and it's the child's fault, never their fault. But if it happens in daycare it's my fault because I was being a negligent provider, and they make such a big deal about it. I'm just sick of it. If I have to result to such extreme measures to protect myself, then so be it!
Honestly, I would be looking to fill the spot and term. I don't care how careful you are at home or at daycare, kids get bumps scrapes and bruises. Inspecting them won't stop that, you can't be there every second to catch them if they fall, stumble whatever. I won't work with a parent that is that nit picky, to much liability, and like I said there is nothing you can do. Kids will be kids and part of that is getting bumps. Heck I am an adult and I always have a cut, scrape, bump or something it seems half the time I don't know where they came from lol.