View Single Post
Nisaryn 11:22 PM 07-23-2016
Hello everyone, long time no see. A LOT has been going on so here goes...

As most of you know I am a Navy spouse. I have been running and in-home daycare for almost 2 years now. I had my son last year. It was obvious from an early age that something was off. My Pedi recommended seeing an OT. They evaluated him and decided that he needed to see an OT every week for one hour a week for at least 8 months! They were unable to get me an evening time slot and so I have had to shut down early EVERY Monday for the past 5 months...I lost business. ALL OF MY BUSINESS!!! During this time we also had him further evaluated and my son was fully diagnosed as having mild Autism and now has an IFSP. He also goes to Speech once a week now as well as continuing to see the OT. Because of not being able to stay open for normal hours (and losing all my business because of it) I recently decided to leave the daycare business and was able to get my son into a military funded small CDH (three kids only at all times) that also just happened to be only two streets over, I can walk there in less than 10. While I managed to snag a nice position as an ESL assistant teacher at our local community college. Super nice lady. She liked us and we liked her, everything during the interview went great so it seemed like an awesome fit.

I had warned her ahead of time that because I was running my own daycare he had NEVER been with anyone else for care for more than a few hours here and there during appointments and interviews. I let her know that he had issues with sensory, especially texture of foods and fabrics, and also that he would probably have a hard time adjusting at first due to his advanced age. I also let her know that he had an IFSP (she said she would need copies to give to the CDH office). I was not able to get that too her right away because they were still finalizing our 'goals' and reaching out for additional services. She assured me that she had worked with kids before who had sensory needs and also expected it might take some time for him to get used to mommy not being near. Sooo for his first week we agreed that he would just come for a few hours each day and then slowly extend the day. I managed to get hired on as a teacher and wouldn't be starting till August 22nd so we (at this time) still had about 6 weeks to get him used to care.

His first day was a Wednesday and he cried and wailed (as expected) and she called me after 3 hours to come get him. His second day he cried and wailed (again as expected) and she called me after 1.5hrs. His third day (Friday last week)...called after 1hr. Weekend went by and so this past week:
Monday - 1.5hrs
Tuesday- 45 minutes
Wednesday- 2hrs
Thursday - 40 minutes
Friday - 30 minutes, "The two week trial period is now up and I just don't think this is going to work. I'm sorry. Usually by now I can get them to 'click' with the rest of us."

So, after gracefully accepting her decision...and then going home to cry it out since I have NO other options for affordable care, I'm sitting here wondering if I should have asked for more time? I've kept kids for MUCH longer than this...especially when they are older...and it has taken them up to a month or two to adjust. I'm just...I have no idea what to think. After assuring me it would be fine, that she had experience, that all would be good...he was only there for EIGHT DAYS!!! He started halfway through that first week! So I had to have a good cry as I told the school that I would not be able to work for them after all....because my son was kicked out of daycare due to non-adjustment. I'm just...I have no words. I had just picked up my ID card and affixed my parking decal to my vehicle. I was so hopeful and so excited! I'm sorry. I guess I really just needed a place to vent. I just felt she should have tried to wait it out a bit longer...to give it more time...on Thursday I had only just brought him some laminated pictures and his lovie from home to keep with him. This just doesn't seem like it was enough time to truly test considering his advanced age and special needs.

If you read this far on, thank you so much for listening!