View Single Post
spedmommy4 06:01 PM 08-12-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
if she is a large daycare then she would be in violation of a locked door. IF this was an exit door. you can't lock the doors during business hours. you must have emergency egress door locks. which means always able to open from the inside, but lock on the outside.
That's another way in which California licensing law is interesting/unusual. All large childcares are required to get a fire permit. And that may be a fire regulation in your area but fire regulations aren't uniform throughout the state. They vary based on the area of California you live in.

A interesting example of this is that my friend both had large family childcare licenses and were both required to get permits. We lived in the same city but I was zoned county and she was zoned city. Because I was county, my fire alarm didn't have to be hard wired to my homes electrical and I wasn't required to put up exit signs. She was and the hard wiring cost over $1,000.

Fire regulations for the area I lived in also only required the front door to have a single action lock. I was permitted to lock all the other doors. The Fire Marshall inspected annually in the city I lived in and he was thorough.