Thread: Ground Beef....
View Single Post
Leigh 07:21 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I serve all types of foods including red meats, fish, pork, etc. but I also have an active program with hours of vigorous gross motor play each day so I would not adhere to this request. I do not serve processed foods or "empty calories" which I believe is a huge factor in child nutrition issues. Coupled with my active program we actually see healthier bodies once children are enrolled in care for several months.
We all know The answer to obesity is not "cut out chocolate milk and ground beef"
The answer is
"Lifestyle change."
Increased activity, real foods, less screen times, involved parental attention, and letting kids PLAY and explore are the real answers to the hard questions.
But it's not easy. Easy is "no red meat at daycare and blame school lunches for obesity.
No one blames the drive through meals 8 times a week w parents and fruit snacks and bug juice on the weekends. ((Sorry. I'm bitter I know. Lol))
You're very right. What bugs me is that the doctor wants to cut out milk when data shows that kids who drink full fat milk weigh LESS than kids who drink none or drink skim. Those fats are essential to children for vitamin absorption, and they help them feel full (and can help prevent grazing).

Also, I'd push the parent to take the child to an endocrinologist if the weight is an extreme issue. I kept putting on weight, and could only lose if I went on a diet of 800 calories or less per day. No amount of exercise would help. I went to several doctors who tried to give me appetite suppressants (after I already told them that I was eating healthy, and eating less than a "normal" person does, anyway). I finally got a CT scan and an MRI and we found the cause: golf ball sized tumors on both adrenal glands. The tumors secrete excess hormones, and that has an effect on many aspects of my life, including weight. A pediatrician is not going to be able to truly help with a real weight issue-I'd always leave that to Endocrine doctors.