View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 08-20-2018
1) they hadn't even looked at the policies; they didn't have enough time but assumed they're all pretty standard.
"I would actually mention this as an issue when responding in e-mail or via a separate e-mail if you've already replied back once. I would simply say something like " I am sorry I didn't mention this earlier but was somewhat taken aback when you admittedly said you didn't have time to read through my program policies and just assumed that my policies were just standard practice.

I understand that parents are pressed for time but the policies I've created for my child care program are THE foundation of my philosophies and practices within my program. It's imperative that parents take the time to read and familiarize themselves with these policies so that our working relationship can be a positive one.

Several of my policies are dictated by the state but many are a direct reflection of myself and my program and I feel strongly that this information should be red and understood by all my clients before enrolling. If you could take some time to read my handbook and policies prior to interview time it would create an opportunity for us to talk openly about expectations. Thank you and I look forward to meeting with you and your family."

2) their son is turning 2 yo in October and that's when he'd start. They've decided to hold off on giving him his MMR shots until he's 3, because she's read up on it's ties to increased chances of autism.

Personally I wouldn't allow the delayed vaccinations however if that isn't an issue for you, I would make sure you have all the correct information on file your state requires other than just a parent belief statement. I think we used to have a statement from the child's doctor stating the parent and doctor discussed all the info necessary and the parent is choosing not to get the MMR but the doctor is aware of it etc etc..

3) when their ds fights with others over toys, his way of responding is biting.

The biting issue wouldn't freak me out. I have a 2 week trial period and would feel comfortable making my own decision about that. I firmly believe that 75% of biting issues are rooted in environment. I am not the same environment for everyone so ....

I've taken 2 kids (both boys around 13-18 months old) that were termed for biting at daycare (one a center/the other a home daycare) and neither child was a biter for me. So the biting would be what I would be looking at during my trial period but it wouldn't automatically scare me off from giving the child a chance.

4) Since I wouldn't be able to take him until his birthday late Oct. they'd probably go with another dc(they have another interview this week) for the 5 weeks then switch him here.

What parents do for care services before I have an opening isn't my concern. If I don't have space until X day, they gotta do what they gotta do until that space is available. Even if it means a temp care until then.

Bottom line for me.....the trial period will tell you everything you'll need to know.

Oh! and the pick up issue, I'd mention that one during the interview too and stress heavily that if dad is unable to pick up within X number of minutes that they will HAVE to list someone on their pick up list that can. If you stress this during the interview most parents get it. Plus it's one of those things that IF it were an issue you can address later.