View Single Post
Abigail 09:26 PM 08-14-2010
This is actually the first time I've opened "The Positive Thread" LOL.

I wanted to share that this week I work noon-4 pm at our daycare center and Thursday went terrible, so Friday my goal was to have a happy day. It did help that we celebrated a girls 3rd birthday and they had watched Happy Feet (or at least the end of it, when I got there) and after nap time...which was actually quiet for an hour and a half (vs. Thursday was 15 minutes of quiet!!!) we had cupcakes.

One thing we had to do was wash hands over and over since we had cupcakes after nap. Mostly 3-5 year olds and none really wash their hands well. So, I started helping each one wash their hands and starting singing what we were doing to catch their interest.

"First we wet our hands with water, then we make bubbles with soap"....I always turn down the hot water as every child turns it on full blast no matter what age and turn up the cold water, then I help them reach the soap dispenser on the wall and rub their hands together NOT UNDER THE WATER. WHY?--Every child I've seen 'use' soap puts it on one hand, under the water it goes and right down the drain, so I tell them we make bubbles and then they keep their hands out of the water so they can lather.

"The bubbles catch the germs, then we wash them away....Bye Bye Germs!" and "Now we dry our hands with a paper towel".
I had two good moments with this song...or something very similar. First, once this 3 year old girl had made 'bubbles' on her hands I said, "Do you see that?" sounding really excited......pointing to a large bubble on the palm of her hand. Then I said, "That bubble just ate a germ!" She smiled and giggled. Second, she walked out of the bathroom rubbing her hands saying to herself "Bye Bye Germs"....it sooo made my day!!!!

I guess my song doesn't really have a tune to it because I have a few extra seconds of gap between singing what we are doing. I tried singing Twinkle twinkle little star with a few of the kids before and they just were not making the connection with the time spent washing their hands. It's also much easier to ask them to "make bubbles" than "use soap".