View Single Post
daycarediva 04:13 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Wow- as a parent of a 3 year old researching online whether or not I should request that our daycare shorten a nap, this is an extremely discouraging and judgmental post to come across from a daycare employee. Your assumptions about their parenting and the child's behavior at home seem unfounded. Do you live at home with them? I would agree that 2 years old is perhaps a little young to start shortening naps- but there is plenty of evidence out there that 3-4 year olds begin cutting out naps- that should be done gradually. The daycare my child goes to is willing to work with us, as they should. We pay them a lot of money. I understand it probably makes more work for the employees and shortens their downtime. Maybe you should consider a job that is less stressful?

I am willing to work with parents in my program as well. WITH that said, if their child is one of the 1. youngest in my program and 2. naps long and hard, we know she needs it. We spend a great deal of time with your children and know what's best for them while in our program. Parents also share a great deal of what happens at home with us, too.

A 2 year old without rest that needs it is notoriously unregulated. That makes a very long day, sometimes 12+ hours for a TINY person, VERY hard for them and everyone else.

When my son was in daycare no matter how tired I was I took him home and ran him. We played outside, or lots of indoor gross motor. NO tv. No running around in the car (sedentary). I essentially mimicked what daycare did to tire him out. Then I followed daycare's lead and had a SET bedtime and a SET routine. He was always out like a light. Repeated with my next kids.

I enjoyed our "late" (for a toddler) nights at 9-9:30 because I was able to get more face time with him instead of 5:30-7:30 including dinner, bath and bed!