View Single Post
daycarediva 10:22 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Hans:
The other kid's mom is a friend of the director, I believe. She did state that the other kid's mom is a good mom and going through hard times, which I definitely understand. I do think there was some favoritism because of that. It did seem that the director would rather have my son be gone than hers.

Thank you all for your responses. Those around me tried to downplay everything, which I reluctantly tried to accept at first. My son's mom was like "Obviously he's OK, so let's just look for another daycare." Which we did. To me that's not enough.

This daycare is the same one that left a child all alone last year. Yeah. The child was asleep underneath a blanket around closing time. The teacher (singular) thought everyone left for the day. And left. The parent of the kid showed up. Lights were out, no one home, doors locked...

I wanted to pull my son at that time, but the director's emotional response afterwards and my son's mom's words convinced me otherwise..

This director takes no responsibility for her actions. When the incident happened with that other kid, insider knowledge (don't ask how) told me that the director didn't think she should have to pay the fine she received. She said that it wasn't her fault, she wasn't even there - and that she would ensure the payment would come from that employee.

Every time an injury (scratch, bruise, bite, bug-bite, etc) happens, it's an automatic "that didn't happen here" until I show otherwise.

The password issue with her camera system was even blamed on her security company. B.S. - they can't be blamed for her forgetfulness to her own camera system.

In the past, I brought up issues about proofreading her Facebook posts and occasional flyers she hands out, for spelling, usage, grammar, etc. Her response was "We all don't have a college degree like you, so I'm sorry for those typos" What? You advertise as a "learning academy" but think it takes a college degree to know the difference between "send a gift wrapped" and "send a gift raped"? Elementary school kids can spell and write better than both the director and the teachers she employs. And "typos" are OK once in a while, but not in literally every post and flyer. I know I don't write perfectly, but..
In my state you must hold a BA or higher in Ed to be a director. I didn't last 3 months at a director position, because the quality of staff (minimum wage) was maddening.

ALWAYS trust your instincts. I would have pulled after the other child was left alone, as well.

I looked at the updated photos. Those are beyond scratches, gouging, and I hope they don't scar (vitamin E oil helps).

There is NO WAY your child did not cry. There is NO WAY the teacher was unaware of this unless the children were completely unsupervised. I have been doing this for 10 years and if that ever happened to a child in my care, the child who was violent would be terminated THAT DAY. That is a level of aggression (IMHO) above typical childhood behavior.