View Single Post
Former Teacher 06:37 PM 08-04-2009
Originally Posted by seashell:
This is a long standing debate on this board and we all need to respectfully agree to disagree. However, assumptions are being made by the pro - license group that non-licensed providers are uneducated and poor quality.

I am an unlicensed provider. I also hold a Masters in Early Childhood Education. I serve as educational consultant to several area licensed centers and I was the director of a large (licensed ) center for over 10 years. I have over 20 years in the field. You will find that this is true for many ( not all) unlicensed providers. I know a great many unlicensed caregivers in my area. We are not child abusers. We are not child molesters. We are not out to beat the system. Our children are well cared for, well educated and loved. We know that the licensing system does not work and we do not put faith in the licensing body.

During my time as a licensed provider (about 10 years) my program had contact with licensing twice. Once during initial inspection and once when a parent complained because her child had chicken pox. Consider, 2 visits in 10 years. Do you honestly believe that an accurate assessment of the program can be made in a few hours over the course of 10 years? A license gives parents a false sense of security. They let their guards down and believe that if the program is licensed, it is safe. I belong to a group that believes that it is the parents responsibility to observe the program at drop off and pick up. I have said this before. Parents are in the center twice a day. Licensing? I am sure there are places that are inspected more often than mine was, but honestly, do you think an occasional visit can truly assess the quality of the program? It is an expense to the program and ultimately the parents, that do not provide protection or safety. It is very easy for a provider to meet the minimum standards to obtain a license. But how often are those standards upheld once the license is obtained? Perhaps if the government took to weekly visits to the program. In this case, the cost to the tax payers, the parents, the center would create a weekly tution bill parents simply could not afford. So what’s the answer?

Simply put, the licensing system does not work. What does work? What is the answer? I am sure there are many ideas on this board, but for me, it’s responsible and observing parents. As a child, you were asked to stop, look and listen when you crossed the street. It should be the same when you drop off and pick up your child. Pay attention! If you are not happy, speak up or leave. DCF is there to deal with those people who do not treat children kindly. Licensing does nothing to ensure quality care. It is a myth. If a system was devised that actually worked, I might consider becoming licensed. But would it really matter? The providers on this board are here because we care about children. We do our very best to protect and offer them a healthy and loving enviroment. Would a license change that? No. There are good and bad in both the licensed and unlicensed population. There was a center in our town that was terrible. The kids watched TV all day, they never went outside, the teachers sat in the corners and gossiped while the kids ran wild. The were constantly over ratio and understaffed. They were investigated time and time again and nothing happened. They were slapped on the wrist and business continued as usual. They paid a fine for being over ratio, but they made more money than they paid out from having extra kids, so what’s the incentive for not continuing the practice? It’s like bars who serve under age kids. They make more serving the kids then they pay in fines. Maybe they get caught, maybe they don’t. But they still come out ahead and may even raise rates to cover the cost of the fine.

Let me explain the inspection process in CT. ABC daycare is accused of running an unsanitary program, lets say improper diaper changing. The state visits. They tour the center and make a list of items that need to be changed. They observe the providers changing diapers (Yes, they do it perfectly because they are being watched) They leave the list with the center who may or may not correct the issues. The center then submit’s a corrective action report describing the changes. The state never visits again to ensure those changes have been made. The case is closed. Lets look at something bigger, a parent says their child is being abused.

The state brings DCF on the investigation. DCF investigates the charges, talks to the parents, observes teacher / child interaction. Licensing? They look for minor infractions and leave the list with the center that will be responded to with a written corrective action report that is filed away and never followed up on. DCF handles the abuse portion of the case and licensing has nothing to do with it. If the complaint is verified? The teacher is fired and it’s business as usual. If nothing is found? It’s still business as usual. It is very rare that a program loses it’s license and if they do, it’s usually because DCF says so, not licensing.

So what’s the solution if licensing doesn’t work? Responsible parenting! Pay attention and use your instincts! If it doesn’t feel right, leave and tell your friends. Licensing won’t do anything. So back to why some of us don’t choose to become licensed? I personally believe parent’s are smart enough to make their own decisions, inspect the program on a daily basis and be in tune to their children. I also won’t rip them off by having to charge them more so that I can offer them a piece of paper called a license. Child care is personal thing, between a parent and a provider. That sums it up for me. Agree or disagree, but respect my opinion and don’t assume I do not offer a quality program because I am smart enough to know that the licensing system is a joke.
Thank you Seashell! Finally another provider who agrees with me that licensing is nothing but a joke. I believe licensing, esp. TX licensing are a bunch of hypocrites.

It is quite funny and sad at the same time when I read up on my former center. There is a website to look up violations (I don't know if all centers do that) but now they have a system to rate their "standards". TX licensing name some of the stupidest standards as high (such as an ACTIVITIY plan not being posted) to low (e.r. card not filled out, which I would think is more important )

Anyway I am pleased to see that I am not the only who thinks the same!

P.S. To to the poster about how the license is free. I am sorry but in TX you must pay for your license. The last time I checked it is a standard fee plus so many dollars per child that you are licensed for. That is how they pad their pockets.