View Single Post
nannyde 04:03 PM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
There's something I'm noticing here that I think plays a big role in how both sides are viewing this issue.

Parent (Can you give yourself a user name there, so we can refer to you? ), you are using example from services that are pay-as-you-go: the deli, the tanning salon, etc.
The daycare providers tend to use examples that are monthly subscriptions, like cable, rent, etc.

Parent, you are viewing your daycare as a pay-as-you-go service, but WE tend to see ourselves as subscribe-for-the-week/month/whatever. There is a disconnect here between how YOU are viewing the service and how WE are viewing it.

Furthermore, I am familiar with the Primrose chain and the are very much more in line with a private school than with a regular ol' daycare center. As such, they (and many places like them) choose to (or may be required to, I'm not sure) follow the local public schools when it comes to weather related closures, holidays, etc.

If you choose to view your center as a school, and your "$50/day" as TUITION at a PRIVATE ACADEMY--do you still feel that it is unfair? If you choose to send your child to Catholic school for elementary, will you still consider it unfair that you still have to pay the same tuition every month, regardless of how many snow days there are?
This

I think the analogy would be better served with this:

My power goes out and I can't use my Direct TV. I want Direct TV to credit me for the days my power goes out.

Will they?

Nope

If a person pays 300 bucks a month for a parking spot and when they get there the road is blocked off because a water main breaks on the street in front of the entry... making it unsafe for the cars to gain entry into the parking garage should the person get a credit for that day?

NOPE

I always feel it is wonderful when Centers can close and not have staff expenses. If they can wiggle 5-7 days a year for snow days then boo Yah for them.

It gives them a chance to take the money and build a nest egg for unforeseen expenses. They operate on a thin margin and something like snow days helps their bottom line a lot.

As far as the parent goes... of course they would like to not pay for the day. I think it's VERY rare that parents actually find care givers for hire on days the weather is so bad the day care and schools close. I think that excuse that they have to pay someone else is actually pretty slim.

Parents need to educate themselves on these kinds of financial disagreements and look specifically for child care that meets their money belief system as well as their child care belief system. If the parent feels it is unethical to charge for those days then they should think clearly the center is unethical in every way and not be involved in their business.

It's the ever ongoing disagreement of what the parents are paying for. Parents for the most part want pay as you go... only for the days used... type of payment. MOST successful child care businesses don't operate on that model UNLESS they charge about 1.25 to 1.5 X the actual rate they need per day per day to compensate for the unused days. This is what drop in center do. If their average hourly rate is 4 bucks an hour for a ten hour a day kid who is five days a week they charge 6 bucks an hour for drop in for the same slot.