View Single Post
My3cents 10:44 AM 03-08-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I exercised my backbone this morning and I didn't feel guilty this time .

Quick Back-story:
Family asks me if I could accommodate a PT child that would come only every other Friday and Monday and I agreed.
Family needed early drop off of 6:30am (30 minutes before I opened) and I agreed for an extra fee because I wake up my DD at that time anyway.
I set my alarm for 10 minutes before they are scheduled to arrive (enough time for me to get ready)
Two months later and DCM starts to drop off at 6:25am then after 3 times shows up at 6:20 twice. Each time I mention that I was in the middle of getting ready, she apologizes each time but still shows up early.
I talk to her about showing up early without notice after the second 6:20am drop-off, mention that she can't do that without asking, ask her of she needs an earlier drop-off time and she says yes.
Signs a new contract with a 6:20 drop off time and earlier pick up time on February 25th (last day her child was scheduled)

Fast forward to this morning (her child's next day of attendance since the last time he was here):

-knock knock knock. I wake up and reach for my phone to check the time, phone is dead I forgot to charge it last night. Oh crap, my alarm didn't go off (my phone is my alarm). I jump out of bed dressed in my DH white t-shirt and taran-tarans - knock knock knock - I rush down the hall and down the stairs - knock knock knock - I feel horrible and panicked. I've only ever slept in once in the whole time that Ive been doing daycare and the other time was with this same DCM . I reach the front door and quickly glance at the clock ...

It's 6:05 in the morning .

I take a deep breath and decide to open the door. There I am in all my glory wearing nothing but an over-sized t-shirt, hair looking like a hot mess, barefoot and now angry. Mom gives me this look .
ME - "I wasn't expecting you for another 15 minutes. I was sleeping. My alarm isn't set to go off for another 5 minutes." Blank stare.
DCM - "Um yeah, I know I'm a little early."
ME - "Didn't we just over this the last time you were here?"
DCM - "Yeah ... um ... sorry" Stares at me. A couple of seconds of silence while I just stare back.
ME: "You can either wait until 6:20 or pay the early drop off penalty fee." A couple of seconds more of silence, both still just staring at each other.
DCM: "I'll pay the fee"
ME - "Do you have it now?" Two seconds of silence.
DCM - "Yes"
I move out of the doorway and let her in, she sets DCK on couch and pulls out cash and hands it to me and without another word she walks out uncomfortably. She looked like a chastised child. I only spoke to her in short clipped sentences so I guess sometimes less is more. I think she got the point .

Now I just have to figure out whether or not I want to hand her a termination letter or not .

I know, not really a point to this story but I just wanted to share with those that I know would understand .
IF the drop off fee is good, very high and very good. Consider just waking up and taking it every time!!! As long as you can handle opening that early.
I would be blunt and tell her that early drop off is discussed in advance and you don't want it to happen again. It was awkward for both of you and if you wanted early hours you would have set your hours to be at that time. I would give her one last harsh warning. Then next time ask her to leave- I am mad for you!