View Single Post
momofboys 08:14 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
I had to call a dcm today to come and get her child immediately and take her to hospital RIGHT NOW!! I have never in over 25 years ever had a situation where I felt a baby needed to be seen by a doctor immediately!

This dcg has been with me since she was 7 months old. She is now 18 months old so she has been with me for over a year. Great mom and dad, sweet beautiful little girl but OMG she gave me close to a heart attack today. I was so scared!

Nap time is from 1-3 30. I put all 6 children to bed. The 3 babies who sleep in the same room all went to sleep right away. At 3pm these 3 were all awake and I began to get them up. One by one I got them up, changed them and got them into their highchairs for their snacks. All was well. Each child had a snack. Whole wheat vegetable crackers which I ran out of so I also gave each child a 1/2 of a peanut butter Nature Valley granola bar and a sippy cup with grape juice. All children ate their snacks, drank their juice as they watched a baby Einstein video. All was still well. After snacks were eaten I began to remove cups and highchair trays washed the children's hands and faces. All was still well. One by one I started to take the babies out of their highchairs so that they could go and play. When I got to 18 month old daycare girl her face and chin were so red & swollen and covered with what I am almost positive were hives, her right eye was blood red and watering. All this in less than one minute! I don't know what happened. Some type of allergic reaction I know! But to what? She has had everything that I gave them today for snack. I have given her the crackers before as well as the same peanut butter bars before. The only thing a bit different was the juice. She has had blueberries at home and both mom and dad said she eats them by the fist full.

I could not believe what I was looking at! I was so worried and upset. She only had this reaction on her face. My dh and I checked her whole body which was fine. I never changed laundry detergent or fabric softener so can't be the sheets/blankets/facecloth I used to wash her with. Maybe a dye or something in the juice? I just feel horrible. Dad picked her up at about 410 about a 1/2 hour after I called mom. Mom called me tonight at 6 30 and baby and dad ares till at the hospital and have to stay for another 2 hours. They think it is an allergic reaction as well.

I guess I just needed to tell someone about this as I am so worried and still very unnerved by this right now. It was just so scary and I have never experienced anything that ever felt like this before.

It is nice to be able to come here for support. Thanks everyone.
I'm so sorry that happened to you! You had to be terrified!

Even if she had had PB before it still could have beem a reaction to it. Sometimes it takes the body eating something new a few times or many times before you can become allergic or have a reaction to it (I have a BIL who can no longer eat seafood, he swells up with hives & he used to eat it regularly with no problems). That is what our allergist has told us (my son has a peanut allergy). I strongly suggest you mention that the parents think about doing allergy testing. Not being judgmental but do you really feed PB products to kids so young? I wouldn't want to risk it personally b/c peanut allergies can be fatal. What happens is this child had this sort of reaction & possibly if she has the same thing again her reaction could be worse the next time. Sorry you had to go through that. I imagine it was very scary.