View Single Post
Blackcat31 09:21 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
Just got back from a vacation, only took a few days off, but boy am I pretty upset with some of my parents......Surprise Surprise...

I have a few things I need to address and would love some insight about how to handle them.

Issue #1:

A new family signed a holding agreement for their child to start full time next month. Well they now tell me that they don't need full time and they only want to come 2 days a week. In our agreement, it says nothing about being able to attend less days. I also will NOT take a child under that age of 2 yrs for two days a week. So I will have to tell them it's full time or no time. If they decline, should I refund their money????

Issue #2:
I advertise on a website that will often send me notices of families looking for childcare in my area. This past weekend I open the email notice and see that it is one of my current families. This family and I have had a few bumps in our road together here, but other than that seem to be very pleased. Would you say something to this family about getting the notice.

Issue #3:
I am starting to become friends with a local provider in my town. I got a voicemail message from a family that she is trying to enroll into her care. I guess she used me as a reference? This woman is very nice, but I don't know her and I really do not know what to say to the family that called looking for a referral for her. I would love to help her out, but also don't want to shoot myself in the foot. What would you do?

I have a few more things going on that I am not too sure what to do about, but I don't what to overwhelm you guys with all my drama......

HELP!!
Welcome back! Hope you had a great vacation!!

Issue #1

Dear DCF

I am sorry to hear you are wishing to drop from full time to part time as I currently do not accept children on a part time basis and will not be able to accommodate your part time request. If you wish to remain enrolled at a full time status, let me know NO LATER than Friday August 16th.

Sincerely
Provider

Do NOT return the holding fee as you DID hold the space. If they don't use it, that is their choice. The money was to guarantee the space, you did that.

Issue#2

I'd outright ask family. "I got an e-mail this weekend notifying me that you are searching for child care. Are you planning on withdrawing?"

IMHO, it's a simple question in regards to the e-mail you received. If they ask you can tell them you advertise on all kinds of child care sites and they all send you a notification when families are looking. I'd even go so far as to let them know you are surprised they are looking as you aren't aware of any issue between them/you. I wouldn't be hesitant to have this kind of convo with my DCF, because I stress from the beginning the importance of open honest communication.

If the family feels put on the spot because they maybe didn't want you to know they were out looking at other arrangements, then they SHOULD feel put on the spot, because if they have/had an issue with you, they should have come directly to you about it and not just went looking for other care arrangements.

Issue#3

I'm sorry but I don't give referrals to any other providers. Including ones I am close too. I have no way of knowing if they are or aren't a good fit/match with potential families so I reserve the right to not give referrals and/or opinions.

(I'd tell BOTH the family looking and the provider-friend that same thing.)