View Single Post
Blackcat31 02:36 PM 09-07-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:
So what would I do with him? They have me under the impression all daycares are required by licensing to have this rest period. Is that not true? I am in Utah. I have planned on keeping him at this center though their SA program until he ages out at age 12.

I can not enroll him in kindergarten because he is not 5.

I am trying to work with the daycare to help them as much as I can, but so often I am getting the report "he was so good except for at nap time". I wanted to make sure I've done everything I can before inquiring about an alternative to nap time with the director. I would REALLY him rather get the sleep, I don't feel he gets adequate sleep without nap time, but since he's not sleeping I don't know what is best for him.
Grrrr! Of course he is "so good except for nap time" as CLEARLY nap time is not provided in a developmentally appropriate way and to be honest I don't agree with their methods....the way I read the regulations for Utah it says:

R381--100-19 CHILD DISCIPLINE

Child discipline shall not include any of the following:
(e) forcing or with holding food, rest and/or toilet use.

Requiring them to lie perfectly still for 2 hours is ridiculous and in my honest opinion "forcing" rest. He is NOT capable (developmentally and humanly)of lying still for 2 hours and "pretending to be asleep".

I think they need to really re-think their nap/rest routines as their rules are rather inappropriate for the age group in which he is in.

Is he still with the older group or the younger group?

Either way, their requirement is not okay. I know they can say that the center might not be a good fit for him then and I know you aren't wanting to change but I do think a good heart to heart with the Director might be in order.

Even if you switched programs, what this one has going on is not appropriate for the age group.

I require ALL children I have in care (0-6 yrs old) to participate in rest time. For those that do not sleep, I play audio books so they have something to do.

I am 15X your son's age and I don't think I am capable of lying perfectly still for two hours.