View Single Post
Leigh 06:32 PM 08-24-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
I was told by my mentor not to go over policies at the initial tour because it seems too harsh and they will lose interest.... :\

You have them initial on each line at the end of your tour? Or once they decide to enroll?
I absolutely DO go over policies at the tour! And, I only do ONE tour. I'm not going to entertain multiple visits-my time is worth too much to me. Since I started this, I have increased the quality of my enrollees IMMENSELY. The parents are gold. I have ONE parent now who I want to get rid of (and I KNEW I should never have enrolled her, but I did because of a relationship I have with one of her relatives). I told my husband that it was going to be a disaster, and it is headed that way.

I always know by the end off the tour/interview whether I am willing to enroll the family. If I am, I ask them if they want to enroll, and we do it right there. If they need time to decide (which I encourage-I even give names of other good daycares that they could interview with), then I'll still go over policies, ask questions about whether they agree to them, and send the forms home and require them back before the first day.

I don't know why your mentor feels that it would seem harsh or turn off parents-for me, it has made my life MUCH easier. I have only ever interviewed 4 parents who have decided not to enroll with me when I have offered. EVER. I don't agree that the way I do things is a turn off for parents. I have actually had a couple of parents tell me that they appreciate the detailed contract/handbook/explanations because they know what to expect.