View Single Post
daycarediva 02:12 PM 09-14-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why do they have to connect?
I don't like everyone. Politeness and respect is still required but I don't have to spend time with someone I don't like.

Daycare girl should have that option as well.

If she'd rather not interact with him and your set up allows for that, let them be.

As for mom asking about it, I'd just reassure her and DCG that she doesn't HAVE to play with DCB. She has to be respectful about it and participate with everyone as a group when you have group activities but as for solo play or social play, give her the option of not having to play with him.

One of my earliest memories (social in regards to peers) is from Nursery School when I was 4. There was this other girl there that I just didn't like. I don't know why as I didn't know her but something made me decide I didn't like her. The teacher MADE me play with her because "we are all friends.."

I wasn't mean. I just didn't want to be this girls friend. I have NO idea why. I just knew I didn't. I was forced to be her friend anyways.

It made an impact. I felt resentful. I felt as if my feelings and instincts weren't respected or validated.

I won't and don't ever make any of my daycare kids play with each other. The only rules are being respectful when declining. No rude or mean talk. Just the option to be honest while still being able to make choices about yourself and the peers you choose to interact with.

"dcm I think it's GREAT dcg doesn't like dcb! There will be a great many people she will not like throughout her life but this is a wonderful opportunity for her to learn to be kind and respectful of everyone, even those she doesn't want to be friends with."

That's verbatim what I said to a dcd when dcg complained about dcb.