View Single Post
Play Care 03:35 PM 02-12-2014
I understand a lot of these types of holidays regional - in my area schools, banks, government offices and libraries are closed. I used to be open because I figured most parents were working only to find that all my families had at least one parent off.

I try to be reliable so parents can WORK. For me, taking a day off on a day when parents are either off, or have access to alternate care arrangements (teen sitters, relatives who are off, etc) makes more sense than taking a random day another time (not that I'm opposed to that either)

In this case the provider took a day off. It happens to be a minor federal holiday. But take away the fact it's a holiday and ask yourself if you had a day off scheduled and a parent asked a few days prior if you were still going to be off because of other unplanned time off, how would you feel? The reality is, it doesn't matter what the day is. The provider gave ample notice she would be closed. If she opens this day (because the parent guilts her into it or others question the validity of the holiday, etc) then why bother taking time off for any reason? Because parents are always going to be working.