View Single Post
gbcc 04:54 AM 03-22-2010
I am really stuck here and would appreciate some advice. I have one employee working for me. I have been trying to find a sub for months now and can't seem to find one. So, my employee called in 3 times last month. All but 1 of those times were within the hour she should have been reporting for work. Last wk she scheduled her son's parent teacher conference during work hours. She gets a break from 11am to 3:30pm so theres really no reason for it.

Tonight she called in for tomorrow. Tomorrow is a full day off from school. This means that I now have to call parents and tell certain ones that they need to find backup care because I will be over my legal limit. This will make parents very upset. Also, she did mention to me today that they were at a frineds home all day. You can go to a friends home but then suddenly feel too ill to go to work? I wouldn't be so upset if it wasn't a full day. I would manage for just a few hours before school. I should also mention that she is salary so I can't dock her for all this missed time.

So my question is, am I over reacting? I think I should look to replace her. I mean 4 times in 2 months is uncalled for right? (Not to mention all the other issues I have had in the past that I have complained about). I realize it's not her fault I can't find a sub but shouldn't she be more dependable? In the 4 years I have been doing daycare I have never called in sick once. I have worked while very ill. I have postponed taking medication becuase they would make me drousy. I do what I need to do to support my family.

Does anyone have a policy I can have her sign regarding time off/expectations? That way I can begin termination legally. I don't want her living off unemployment that I paid into when it's due to work ethics and not lack of hours I need her.